Travels in Textiles

.

Sunday 1 May 2011

Fields, flowers and Easter feasts


I have left it far too long to write another blog post.

Stuck at home while everyone else is enjoying a sunny bank holiday, I have decided to force myself out of underneath the weight of my books and my never ending thesis and do some easier writing.

I can't really complain about missing out on the lovely weather. I was lucky to spend a whole Easter in the Yorkshire Dales basking in the warm hospitality of my aunt and uncle in their lovely country house. This involved strolling through the quiet picturesque countryside, indulging in my auntie's delicious home-cooked feasts of ham from their home-reared pigs, huge fruit filled pavlovas, fresh tasty salads and a whole manner of Easter cakes and treats, and of course the classic summer drinks of rose and pimms.

The wild flower ridden fields, peace and lush green of the surrounding hills provided a perfect break from the urban sprawl of Manchester and being stuck in front of a computer.




On the journey back, we were entertained by the array of scarecrows on display on the streets of the quaint village of Wray. They hold the scarecrow festival every year and the locals' creativity is leashed while creatin all sorts of characters out of all sorts of objects, some familiar. This year of course, there were many interpretations of the royal wedding. Unfortunately we couldn't stop, so I could only catch a tiny selection on my phone camera. This creepy looking giant lady was my favourite.


No comments:

Post a Comment